Those who waited for the 3G second edition of the iPhone will appreciate dramatically faster cellular data access and an impressive software update including a raft of third-party programs.
Apple iPhone 3G software
Although this review is supposed to focus on the iPhone 3G as a hardware product, it's impossible to fully separate it from the software it runs.
- Apple iPhone: the definitive UK review
- Visit Mobile Advisor for the latest mobile phone news, reviews, tips & tricks
- Visit Digital World for the latest digital audio, games and home-entertainment news and reviews
This new version adds numerous features not present in the previous iPhone until now, including support for push email, contacts, and calendars via a corporate Microsoft Exchange server or Apple's new MobileMe service. The most impressive feature of this new software is the App Store, which allows users to download programs written by software developers outside of Apple.
The 2.0 Apple iPhone software is, in many ways, the most important feature of the iPhone 3G. And it's excellent. However, because that software is also available for the original iPhone and the iPod touch, we've chosen to review it separately from the iPhone 3G hardware.
Here's our Apple iPhone 2.0 software review.
NEXT PAGE: 3G: full speed ahead > >
- Apple iPhone 3G review
- Apple iPhone 3G hardware
- iPhone peripherals and the 3G iPhone
- Apple iPhone 3G software
- 3G: full speed ahead
- Where am I? iPhone GPS
- Loud and clear
- Strange lapses
- 3G iPhone power and battery
- The price
Original 3G iPhone review
- Does the iPhone 3G justify the hype?
- Above all, a phone
- Internet to go
- Check your mail
- Oh yeah, the iPod
- The iPhone 3G in use
- Apple iPhone 3G: first look, June 2008