Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom is claiming that the controversial file-sharing website is ready for a relaunch.
A post to his Twitter account on Friday implied this may happen sooner than previously imagined. "Quick update on the new Mega: Code 90% done. Servers on the way. Lawyers, Partners & Investors ready. Be patient. It's coming."
Speaking outside the Auckland High Court this morning, Megaupload chief technology officer Mathias Ortmann, told Computerworld that the 'new Mega' relaunch is near, but was unable to specify a definite time.
"Things are progressing in terms of development, and we are close. There will be an announcement, but not right now," says Ortmann.
Dotcom has given several hints in the last few weeks about the new Megaupload. On 14 September, when asked if he would grant the BBC an interview, he responded over Twitter, "Mega Launch Dotcom Mansion Press Conference TBA. Please come."
On August 28, he also posted cryptic tweets which seem to refer to progress on the new website:
"Developers get ready. The Mega API will provide incredible powers. Our API and your Mega tools will change the world."
"We are building a massive global network. All non-US hosters will be able to connect servers & bandwidth."
US prosecutors are still fighting to have Dotcom extradited to America to stand trial for multiple counts of copyright infringement, but the investigation has hit problems.
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has called for an inquiry into the conduct of the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) over claims that the security agency illegally spied on Megaupload.