We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
80,259 News Articles

Windows 7: How happy are early adopters?

What early adopters think of Microsoft's new OS

Microsoft's latest OS is barely even two months olds, yet early adopters have given Windows 7 the thumbs up. We look at why they're happy and any issues they've got.

Judging the Features

We asked respondents to rate 11 specific Windows 7 features that were new or substantially revised.

Most of the features were well-received, especially the Taskbar, System Tray, window tiling, and desktop-revealing Aero Peek feature, all of which received Excellent or Very Good ratings from at least two-thirds of respondents.

Even the new version of Vista's much-maligned User Account Control received an Excellent or Very Good from more than half of users, and only 3 percent said it was poor.

The Windows 7 feature which survey-takers were most lukewarm about isn't a Windows 7 feature, exactly - it's Internet Explorer 8, which first shipped back in March for Windows Vista and XP.

While 50 percent of respondents say it's at least good, only nine percent rate it as excellent. One in five said it's only fair and 13 percent say it's downright poor, by far the most negative verdict given to any feature.

In the graphic below, the length of each bar indicates the percentage of respondents who say they've used each feature (virtually everyone rated the Taskbar, for instance, but only 55 percent have tried HomeGroups.)

Features are ordered by the percentage of respondents who rated a feature as Excellent or very good. The more green the better; yellow and red indicate lukewarm and negative reactions, respectively.

Happiness Is...

Most survey respondents had no trouble setting up Windows 7, weren't crippled by problems once they got it installed, and found much to like in its changes. And that translated into impressive numbers for overall satisfaction.

70 percent say they are extremely satisfied with the new OS, and 24 percent say they're somewhat satisfied, for a total of 94 percent who are satisfied to some degree.

Four percent say they are neither satisfied nor dissatisfied, and two percent are somewhat or extremely dissatisfied. (When PC World surveyed Vista early adopters in 2007 , it reported that only a little over one third of them were ‘very satisfied', and almost a quarter were 'unimpressed'.)

We asked respondents who said they were dissatisfied with Windows 7 to tell us why, but so few people were unhappy campers that the information we collected isn't statistically significant, so we won't chart it here.


(Don't tell anyone we told you, but the majority of them said that Windows 7 is too expensive and doesn't have enough new features to warrant the cost.)

Does respondents' satisfaction with Windows 7 vary depending on whether they came to the OS from Vista or from XP? Yes-both groups are strongly favourable, but XP users are meaningfully less ecstatic. 79 percent of Vista users say they're extremely satisfied, while only 61 percent of XP users do.

We also gauged respondents' bottom-line appraisal of Windows 7 by asking them whether they'd willingly give it up for their old operating system. The vast majority- 73 percent -said they definitely wouldn't.

Another 18 percent said they probably wouldn't. Three percent said they probably would go back, and another three percent said they definitely would, or already had.

As with our question about overall satisfaction, Vista users gave Windows 7 a particularly hearty testimonial: 86 percent of them say they definitely wouldn't go back.

The percentage of XP users who say they've switched to Windows 7 permanently isn't quite that overwhelming, at 61 percent.

XP users are also more likely to say they're probably or definitely abandoning Windows 7, although the overall percentage doing so remains low.

Small business IT advice

Laptop buying advice

See all laptop reviews

Windows 7 review

NEXT PAGE: Comparing and contrasting

  1. We look at just what early adopters think of Microsoft's new OS
  2. Getting up and running
  3. Judging the features
  4. Comparing and contrasting
  5. Since you asked
  6. The bad...
  7. The mixed


IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?