We rounded up more than 50 of our favourite tools and tips for unlocking extra value from popular browsers, productivity applications and multimedia tools.
Five essential office add-ons
1. International Character Toolbar: Add this toolbar to Office to gain one-click access to a palette of the most common special characters used in the foreign language(s) of your choosing. Warning: You may have to sign on to the Office Genuine Advantage program to get this add-on.
2. ToolbarToggle: Not thrilled with Office 2007's radical new "ribbon" design in lieu of good old menus and toolbars? ToolbarToggle restores the 2003 suite's arrangement. A single-user licence costs $20 after a free five-day trial.
3. Word Frequency Count: This shareware application (full name: Word Frequency Count in Multiple Text & HTML Files) adds up the number of times that every word occurs in multiple text, HTML, and Word documents. Unlocking the full utility will cost you $30.
4. Remove Hidden Data: You probably sometimes receive files filled with embarrassing "track changes" information and personal data that the creator accidentally left in. Don't be that person yourself. Thank Microsoft for the free Remove Hidden Data add-in.
5. ClearType Tuner: Part of the Windows XP PowerToys suite (and available in an online version, as well), ClearType Tuner is an add-on that gives you fine-grain control over how fonts look on your LCD screen. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference a slight alteration in font thickness and smoothing can make on your eyes.
NEXT PAGE: multimedia muscle builders > >
- Make your software do more... for free
- Browser boosters, part I
- Browser boosters, part II
- Five essential browser add-ons
- Office optimisers
- More office optimisers
- Five essential office add-ons
- Multimedia muscle builders
- More multimedia muscle builders
- Five essential multimedia add-ons