Purge private data from Firefox
Firefox records where you've been browsing to help you retrace your steps, as well as to reopen the pages you've visited previously more quickly. But this feature may compromise your privacy by letting other people using your PC see what you've been up to.
The browser's default security settings may not strike the balance of convenience and privacy that's best for you. To customize those settings, select Tools, Options, and click the Privacy icon. The dialog box is divided into three sections: History, Cookies, and Private Data.
History You might want to shorten the number of days Firefox saves your surfing history - the default is nine days. If you don't want to save your browsing history at all, uncheck Remember visited pages for the last [X] days. You can also choose not to record the text you enter in web forms or search boxes, and the programs you download.
Private data To clean things out regularly, check Always clear my private data when I close Firefox. Then click the Settings button to fine-tune the options.
What should you leave checked and unchecked in the Clear Private Data dialog box? Checking the Browsing History and Cookies sections will override any changes you made in the other sections of this dialog box, so leave them unchecked. Checking Cache may slow Firefox down a bit, but probably not enough to notice if you have a fast Internet connection. Deleting Saved Passwords is entirely pointless. You should check every other option. After you click ok to close the Clear Private Data dialog, uncheck Ask me before clearing private data to avoid this annoying pop-up dialog box.
- Download Mozilla Firefox here
- Read our Mozilla Firefox review here
- Keep tabs on Firefox tabs
- Keyboard shortcuts and bookmarks in Firefox
- Find your new Firefox bookmarks a good home and prune dead bookmarks
- Better default Google search in Firefox and Back up Mozilla Firefox's 'Registry'
- Customise Firefox keyword search, and search a web page quickly
- Purge private data from Firefox
- Revise your Firefox history
- Optimise Firefox for broadband