With the $20 billion Facebook IPO imminent, interest has surged even higher in what is already the world’s most popular social network.
Facebook: the facts and stats
Facebook.com is the top social networking site in the US, Canada, UK, Brazil, France, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore markets. It is the top overall site in the US, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore, and second in the UK, Brazil, France and Australia.
Hitwise, an Experian company, has poured through its UK and US data to discover the top 10 things you need to know about Facebook:
1. Facebook is the second most visited website in the UK after Google, with over 1.3 billion visits to Facebook a month from the UK Internet population. In the US it is ranked number one, achieving 1.6 billion visits a week, with 229 million US visits a day for the year to date, and 400 billion in 2012 alone.
2. 1 in every 7 page views in the UK is to a Facebook page (in the US 1 in every 5). The social network accounted for 14 percent of all UK Internet page views in April 2012. In the US Facebook.com received 9 percent of internet visits in April 2012.
3. 500 million hours are spent on Facebook in the UK every month. The average session time for a user visiting Facebook is 22 minutes; two minutes more than in the US.
4. Facebook is the most popular social network in the UK, accounting for 50 percent of all visits to social networks. Facebook is twice the size of YouTube and 17 times bigger than Twitter in terms of visits from UK Internet users.
5. Facebook receives an average of 40 million UK Internet visits every single day.
6. Facebook is the most searched for website in UK and the US, where it has been for the past three years. The term ‘facebook’ is the most popular search term typed into all search engines including Google, Yahoo! and Bing and three of the top 10 most popular search terms online are Facebook related (‘facebook’, ‘facebook login’ and ‘fb’). Facebook-related terms account for 6 percent of the top searched terms in the US and Facebook-related terms made up 4 of the top 10 US searches (among the top 100 search terms for the 4 weeks ending May 12, 2012).
7. Facebook is the second biggest source of traffic in the UK after Google. 7 percent of all visits to a website came from Facebook in April 2012.
8. 1 Facebook fan = 20 additional visits to your website over the course of a year. Using the top 100 retail websites as a sample group, Hitwise data shows that for each additional fan acquired on a branded Facebook page companies can expect to see 20 extra visits coming to their main website over a 12 month period.
9. 25 percent of all visits leaving Facebook go straight to an Entertainment website, showing the close affinity between Facebook and people’s interest in movies, TV, music and games.
10. Manchester is the new Facebook capital of the UK with Internet users from Manchester 9 percent more likely than the average person to visit Facebook in a given month. 10 US states account for 52 percent of US visits to Facebook.com – California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina based on year-to-date average.
Visit PC Advisor on Facebook to keep up to date with the texh world and interact with our editors every day.