In a PC Advisor poll of 6,918 site visitors, a stunning 98.2 percent of respondents said they have tried at least one free antivirus package.
The most popular choice was AVG Free, which picked up 18.9 percent of the votes. This was closely followed by Avast Free Antivirus, on 16.1 percent.
Next in line were Panda Antivirus Free (14.6 percent), Avira Antivir (12.3 percent) and ClamWin Free Antivirus (9.7 percent).
Microsoft Security Essentials languished in sixth place, with a 9.5 percent share.
The remaining antivirus products were Comodo Antivirus (9.1 percent) and PC Tools Antivirus Free (4.6 percent).
While just 1.8 percent ticked 'I've not tried any free antivirus products' - leaving 98.2 percent having tried at least one - 3.4 percent said they had tried a free antivirus other than the ones listed.
Based on 6,918 votes, 22 November 2010. Add your vote to the poll, or join the discussion in the PC Advisor forums.
Microsoft Security Essentials review
AVG 8.5 Free review
Anti-virus software reviews
How to secure a new PC
Fake antivirus still scamming naive consumers