IT security woes at WikiLeaks have led to the organisation delaying the launch of a system intended to protect whistleblowers submitting sensitive information.
A month after WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said the organisation was facing critical financial problems, he warned that development on the new system had also hit obstacles, the Financial Times reported.
The WikiLeaks electronic submission system has been offline for most of the period after it released a trance of US secret diplomatic cables, a year ago.
WikiLeaks had been striving to build a new system with much stronger security, but last month Assange said even this "could not be trusted". He said it was "not possible to trust any regular web-based encryption system".
Yesterday, WikiLeaks suddenly cancelled a system launch event, the FT reported. On Twitter, it wrote: "Constructing the system is very complex.
"Due to the deteriorating state of internet security which directly impacts the ability of sources to communicate with journalists and human rights activists securely, WikiLeaks has decided to postpone the launch initially scheduled for Monday 28th in the interest of source protection."
At a press conference on Thursday, WikiLeaks is expected to launch a "new phase" of operations, after warning of the threats faced by staff.