"Our priority has been to make sure that the software does what we said it will do. This meant testing took a little longer than anticipated," Vodafone said in a post to its forums.
HTC Desire owners will receive an alert from the network telling them their device is ready for an update. Alerts will be rolled out over a two-week period beginning on Monday.
The mobile network also revealed that those customers that downloaded the controversial Vodafone 360 update rolled out a couple of weeks ago will be issued with guidelines on how to remove the unwanted 360 content from their handsets once the upgrade has been installed.
Vodafone was swamped with complaints this month from HTC Desire owners after an update, which many users expected to be 'Froyo', left new apps on their handset, along with a Vodafone start-up screen and shortcuts to websites.
Initially, the network said there was no way of removing the apps and the upgrade had been pushed out to ensure "the experience on the Desire was in-line with other handsets available from the network".
However, a few days later, Vodafone backtracked and revealed the Froyo upgrade would ensure unwanted apps can be removed.
"We've listened to feedback from customers on a number of points around the recent 360 Android 2.1 update and made some changes to the roll out plan," Vodafone said at the time.
"For customers who have downloaded the recent 360 update for Android 2.1, we can confirm that the Android 2.2 update will remove the 360 applications and will leave the homepage and bookmarks on your current settings."