There's much more to Google's free email service than an inbox. Here's how to turn Gmail into a major productivity booster.
Chat with your AIM buddies
Gmail has long included an integrated chat feature that connects you to other Gmail users via the Google Talk network.
To start an instant message conversation with another user, just expand your contacts list, hover the cursor over the Gmail contact you'd like to chat with, and click Chat. (For voice chats you must download the free Google Talk application.)
Google recently added support for AOL Instant Messenger to Gmail's Chat feature, so now you can banter with your AIM buddies without having to launch AOL Instant Messenger (this is especially handy if your company's firewall blocks regular AIM traffic). To log in to AIM via Gmail Chat, click the arrow next to Chat's status field (or click the Options link at the bottom of your contacts list), and choose Sign into AIM. Enter your AIM screen name and password into the dialog box that appears, and click Sign in. Your AIM buddies will now appear in your Gmail chat list.
- Read, label, archive Gmail
- Assigning Gmail labels
- Fetch mail from other accounts
- Label Gmail automatically via filters
- Creating Gmail filters
- Gmail digs IMAP
- IMAP and POP3 support for Gmail
- Chat with your AIM buddies
- Improving on near-perfection
- Get the latest internet news and reviews on Broadband Advisor
- Visit Business Advisor for the latest IT news and reviews to help your business grow