We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
80,258 News Articles

WaTunes scraps user charges

Unsigned artists to get all revenue generated

Music-sharing website WaTunes.com is scrapping the charge it imposes on unsigned artists and independent record labels that use the service to distribute their music to online record stores, such as Apple's iTunes and Napster.

Previously, users were able to upload their tracks to the service via FTP. They then had to select a digital record store to sell the music through. The store set the price of the track and gave 90 percent of any sales to the user, while WaTunes took the remaining 10 percent.

However, now the music service has announced users will receive all of the revenue generated from sales of their audio tracks.

WaTunes.com review

Apple iTunes 8 review

"By becoming the very first company to embrace the absolute digital distribution model, we have eliminated the fee structured aggregation model that enables musicians pay in order to get their music available to their fans. This model enables our customers to distribute music while getting the full benefits of earning all the royalties and maximising exposure." says Kevin Rivers, founder and CEO of WaTunes.

See also: WaTunes boosts social networking credentials


IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...