When it comes to your pieces of eight, it pays to be vigilant. The web offers a number of sites that can help you keep track of your outgoings and even help you save a few pennies at the same time.
The petrol companies' price war is a blessing - it offers cheaper petrol, after all. But there's nothing more frustrating than filling up and starting your journey, only to discover that the petrol station five minutes down the road is 5p per litre cheaper.
With PetrolPrices.com, you'll never have that problem. Simply enter your postcode and the site will offer up the lowest prices in your area. The service covers almost 10,000 petrol stations in the UK.
If you're looking to invest your money but aren't willing to take a gamble on the property market, take a look at Kiva. This website allows individuals to loan money to someone in the Third World to start a business and get themselves and their family out of poverty. Your reward: the pleasure of knowing you helped someone in need.
50 great websites and services for 2009:
See also: 50 great websites and services for 2009
PC Advisor's online treasure trove -
- Three great online backup services
- 7 great music, image and video-sharing sites
- Six websites that will save you money
- How to win hearts and minds online
- Find great restaurants and pubs online
- 5 great news websites and services
- Use the web to find trusted tradesmen
- 5 online shopping sites you don't know
- 5 useful research websites
- 10 websites to watch in 2009