Your wireless network may be growing, but that doesn't mean you need to purchase new hardware.
How to boost Wi-Fi range
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time: 45 mins
Fitting a parabolic reflector to your router can focus the signal exactly where you want it. Your network will reach further and the addition can even improve network security.
Parabola Calculator will help you work out the correct antenna shape. Enter a diameter and depth to represent the maximum size of reflector that your router's antenna can physically accommodate. The app will create a table of points for you to plot on to graph paper.
Cut out the inside of the parabola shape on two pieces of cardboard, then cut a smooth piece of metal to serve as the reflector. Curve the metal into a U-shape around the guides and glue it in place. Cut small holes into the guides at the focal point and mount the reflector.
- How to overclock your PC processor and graphics card
- 10 PC projects: how to boost your Wi-Fi's range and speed
- 10 PC projects: teach your camera new tricks, and operate it remotely
- How to boost your PC for gaming, and pimp an Xbox 360
- Play iTunes on any device, and rip DVD movies to your portable media player