PS4 launch live
After seven years since its last games console launch, Sony has now launched the PlayStation 4. Here's more information about the PS4 launch.
Sony hosted its "Future of PlayStation" event yesterday in New York, and it was there that the Japanese tech giant launched the PS4. See Sony PS4 launch preview for more information. See also: PS4 price in UK; how much will the PlayStation 4 cost?
Last night saw Sony confirm the PS4 exists and it will be available to buy in some countries in time for Christmas 2013.
Although the two-hour event, held in New York, did not unveil the console itself, it did outline some of the PS4's specs and gave the world a glimpse at its new DualShock 4 controller.
The DualShock 4 controller, pictured above, was the only piece of PS4 hardware that Sony unveiled yesterday. Key features of the new PS4 controller are: a new touchpad in the middle of the controller; a built-in microphone and jack; a finally a share button next to the triggers to let users share their live PS4 content with friends.
The PS4 console specs that were confirmed are as follows:
- AMD x86-based 8-core CPU and an enhanced GPU
- Blu-ray, DVD and HDMI output
- 8GB of DDR5 RAM
- 'Instant On' capability
- PS4 won't be backwards compatible with old games
- PS4 users will be able to stream PS3 and older generation games online
- PlayStation App" will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second
- PlayStation 4 Eye - 1280 x 800 camera (Xbox Kinect style feature)
Some of the mentioned games for the PS4 include: Killzone: Shadowfall (Guerrilla Games), Drive Club (Evolution Studios), Infamous 3 (Sucker Punch), Deep Down (Capcom), Watch Dogs (Ubisoft), Diablo III (Blizzard) and Bungie's Destiny (Activision).