We've rounded up the 20 best fighting games that were released between 1998 and 2008. From hip-hop brawlers to free-for-all melees, these titles are the most important fighting games to hit the industry in the past 20 years.
4: Marvel vs Capcom 2, 2000 [DC]
Spider-Man versus the Hulk: Been there. Wolverine taking on Juggernaut: Done that. Mega Man teaming up with Captain Commando and Jill Valentine to clash fists against Venom, Doctor Doom and the Sentinel?
Back up. Yes, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 can legitimately called the most insane mash-up of fighting game characters in mankind's short history, and we're damn glad that it's being released on PS3 and X360.
Seriously, short of an arcade cabinet, you can't find this thing on home consoles anymore, so the new downloadable version of this badass brawler is going to blow the internet up.
3: Tekken 3, 1998 [PS]
It's one thing for fighters to perform in 3D, but doing it right is something else entirely. Even after all these years, Tekken 3 is still a golden standard for 3D combat, which is proven by the fact that the gameplay in the Tekken series hasn't changed much from the third installment (nor has it needed to).
Heck, that's just a testament to how good this fighter is, especially considering the wide range of characters. Also, Tekken 3 made it tactically sound to actually use the 3D movement in the game, letting players roll and sidestep away from attacks with ease, use knockdowns, escape from tackles and stuns, juggle opponents in mid-air, and chain together throws.
Plus, you could play a special beach ball mode. And it was awesome.
NEXT PAGE: Soul Calibur and Street Fighter II Turbo
- These were the best games between 1989 and 2009
- Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves and Def Jam: Fight For NY
- WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain and Guilty Gear X2
- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium and Super Smash Brothers Brawl
- Killer Instinct and X-Men vs. Street Fighter
- Power Stone and Mortal Kombat II
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Virtua Fighter 5
- Street Fighter IV and Super Smash Bros Melee
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Tekken 3
- Soul Calibur and Street Fighter II Turbo