We've rounded up the 20 best fighting games that were released between 1998 and 2008. From hip-hop brawlers to free-for-all melees, these titles are the most important fighting games to hit the industry in the past 20 years.
6: Street Fighter IV, 2009 [360, PS3]
Many fans thought the idea of another 3D Street Fighter was blasphemy, and judging by the less-than-popular EX series, the pitchforks and torches had every right to go up.
Luckily, Yoshinori Ono has some of the biggest brass balls on the planet, because Street Fighter IV turned out to be everything SFII should've been and everything that SFIII wasn't.
Even though the graphics were crafted in glorious 3D, the gameplay remained faithful to the memory of SFII's addictive 2D combat. In fact, it was so faithful that people who hadn't picked up a Street Fighter game in 15 years still found themselves right at home.
5: Super Smash Bros Melee, 2001 [GC]
The Nintendo GameCube isn't something that you'll see at too many fighting game tournaments. However, 2001 was the year that you needed this system, especially if you wanted to play the best damn Nintendo fighting game yet.
Super Smash Melee is the GameCube's best selling game, and with a mountain full of characters, tons of modes and boss battle scenarios, as well as those nostalgic Trophies that you could collect, fans of any Nintendo series got everything they wanted from this masterpiece.
Oh, and as a side note, just make sure you listen to the music in this game, too. It's almost as good as the voice acting, which brings the characters to life in awesome detail.
NEXT PAGE: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Tekken 3
- These were the best games between 1989 and 2009
- Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves and Def Jam: Fight For NY
- WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain and Guilty Gear X2
- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium and Super Smash Brothers Brawl
- Killer Instinct and X-Men vs. Street Fighter
- Power Stone and Mortal Kombat II
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Virtua Fighter 5
- Street Fighter IV and Super Smash Bros Melee
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Tekken 3
- Soul Calibur and Street Fighter II Turbo