Tivo has introduced its new DVR, the Premiere Elite, a device with enough HD storage space to keep anyone glued to the tube for almost two straight weeks.
TiVo's most advanced DVR yet comes with two terabytes of storage and four tuners, meaning four shows can be recorded simultaneously while watching a fifth. There's plenty of viewing options to choose from as well, with a broadband connection that hooks into on-demand partners including Netflix and Hulu Plus.
The Premiere Elite will be priced at $499 and represents a big leap forward from the Premiere XL, which came with half the storage space. The Elite model will be available from TiVo's website and some retailers including select Best Buy locations.
"This product was designed specifically for the high-end custom home theater integrator or enthusiast looking to complete their home entertainment system with a best-in-class TV experience," Doug Bieter, Tivo’s vice president of retail sales, said in a statement.
The product's page is now live at TiVo.com, but it isn't quite a done deal yet. The company is still waiting for a waiver from the FCC, because the box doesn't include a required analog tuner. You'll need digital cable or Verizon FiOS to take advantage of this screen time binge machine; the Premiere Elite won't support analog cable, antenna, satellite or AT&T U-Verse.
If you've still got what it takes, look for this super-DVR to debut sometime before the end of the year.
Here's the full list of specs:
- TiVo Series4TM architecture
- Supports digital cable, high-definition digital cable and Verizon FiOS®
- THX-certified DVR, offering optimal video and audio fidelity
- Outputs: HDMI, Component video, Composite video, Optical audio, Analog audio
- Video output modes include: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- Inputs: CableCARDTM, Cable coax, Ethernet
- Additional support for USB 2.0 (2 ports), eSATA for external recording space, TiVo Wireless N or G Network Adapter
- 2 Terabytes of recording space for up to 300 hours of HD recorded programming