Online retailers need to improve customer service standards in order to increase sales, according to a report conducting by customer service monitoring portal, eMystery shopper.
The report, carried out in the run-up to Christmas 2000, questioned 426 internet shoppers’ expectations about their online Christmas shopping. More than eight in ten shoppers expected to spend more online in 2000 than they had in 1999, but when questioned after Christmas only three quarters of them had actually spent more.
Among the most popular reasons for shopping online were to save time, to avoid the hassle of Christmas crowds and save money.
Over three quarters (79 percent) of shoppers were happy with the customer service they received. Unfortunately the remaining 21 percent experienced problems with delivery of goods, with five percent of orders failing to arrive on time, and low stock levels. That's just over a fifth of customers.
Customers told eMystery that they were generally dissatisfied with the email responses, some which took over 5 days and others that didn’t appear at all. The report doesn't name and shame those companies with the poorest level of customer care.