Sony is launching a 7in widescreen portable DVD player with DivX support.
The red-liveried Sony DVP-FX720 DVP-FX720 sounds as though it ought to support 720p HD playback, but is in fact aimed at the lower end of the market, offering multi-format DVD+/- R/RW playback so users can show off their home-recorded video footage.
The Sony DVP-FX720 has a 7in widescreen with a 16:9 aspect ratio and the player can be bought in the ‘blazing’ red finish pictured here or in indigo blue, glamour pink or ice white. (Given Sony’s history with laptop batteries overheating, perhaps blazing red wasn’t the best adjective to choose.)
Dual-layer DVDs are also supported, while photos and MP3 or WMA music tracks can be played from the Sony Memory Stick or a USB memory drive. Two headphone sockets are included, meaning two back seat passengers can listen in at once.
Pricing has yet to be announced.
Sony claims a playback time of up to five hours and bundles an in-car charger to save the batteries running out on long journeys. A remote control is also included.
Keep the kids quiet while you inch along the M1 with the Sony DVP-FX720 portable DVD player
Sony DVP-FX720 portable DVD player main features
• 7in portable DVD player with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen display
• USB port for Jpeg/MP3 playback
• 5-hour rechargable battery
• Audio CD and CD-R/RW support for MP3 music playback and Jpeg photo display
• DVD-R/-RW/-R DL/+R/+RW and CD-R/-RW with DivX video support
• also supports DVD-R/-RW (Video Mode and VR Mode), DVD-R Dual Layer (Video Mode), DVD+R/+RW and DVD+R Dual Layer
• 12 bit/108MHz video and 96kHz/24bit audio, digital-to-analogue converter
• twin headphone jacks
• powerful embedded speaker
• remote control
• car adapter included
Get the latest home entertainment reviews, setup guides, buying advice and troubleshooting tips in Digital World.