Here's how to set a specific tone to alert you for each person that texts you
First the good news - it is both possible and, in fact, easy to change the tone that your iPhone emits when you receive an SMS text message. And its also a simple process to assign a specific tone to an individual contact - so if you want a text from your wife to sound different to one from your mistress you are in look (although you are on morally dubious ground. And are you *really* happy? I digress.) See all smartphone tips and tricks.
What you can't do without jailbreaking your iPhone is assign a song or a sound you recorded to be your text message alert. Here then we show you how to change the alert your iPhone makes when you get a text message, and then how to set a specific alert for individual text contacts.
(Click any image to enlarge it. And keep on scrolling down to read both iPhone tutorials:)
How to change the default text message alert on iPhone
1. Choose settings, then tap Sounds.
2. Now scroll down and select 'Text Tone'.
3. You will see list of Alert tones and Ringtones. Tapping one will both select it and play it, so you can hear and choose your next SMS alert (and, in my case, really annoy your colleagues). Clicking Store takes you to iTunes to purchase further tones. Now read on to learn how to set a specific tone for texts from an individual contact.
How to set a specific SMS text alert for individual contacts
1. Open Utilities, and then select Contacts.
2. Select the contact to whom you wish to append a specific text tone. Hit edit. You should see this screen:
4. Now scroll down and you will see a setting for 'text tone'. Select it. Again you will see a list of Alert tones and Ring tones. Hit them to hear and choose them, and when you are happy simply click 'Save'. Whenever that person sends you an SMS message that specific tone will ring out.