We've been impressed with YouView (see our review of BT's YouView box), thanks to its easy to use interface and wide-ranging on-demand services for catching up on TV from the four main broadcasters: BBC, ITV, channel 4 and Five. It also has a Sky player which lets you stream movies if you pay the £8 per month subscription fee.
Thanks to a recently launched app, YouView is now even more convenient.
The app allows you to set recordings from your iPhone, just like you can with Sky+. Virgin has also launched a similar app - Virgin TV Anywhere - for its TiVo box
No matter where you are, as long as you have an Internet connection, you can browse the TV guide and hit the record button.
The app is a free download from Apple's App Store and works on iPhones, iPads and iPod touches. Unfortunately the Android app is still being developed.
Step 1. After installing the app, launch it and tap Next on the welcome screen.
2. Turn on your YouView box, press the YouView button, go to Settings then Device Management.
3. Scroll down to Mobile Device and press OK on your remote. Select Connect Device and a code will be generated - it took a minute or so on out BT Humax YouView box. We've heard reports that the app isn't compatible with every YouView box (there are various manufacturers), so please leave a comment below to let us know if you can't get it working on yours.
4. In the app, tap the Enter Connection Code button and type in the code from your TV screen.
5. A message will appear telling you a connection is being attempted, followed by a Successfully connected screen.
6. You can now browse the guide in the app. Tap on any show to see a synopsis and the all-important record button.
7. Tap the record button and a message will pop up saying "Your recording has been sent to the box". The record button will also change and show'Sent'.
8. You can connect up to five mobile devices so several family members can also set recordings remotely.