We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Open Office in W7 64 bit

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been doing a bit of reading on the subject of Open Office used with Windows 7 and seen some people have experienced freezing/loss of documents.

I am in the process of moving to W7 64bit and my Word 2002 is unlikely to function properly so I am considering Open Office as a permanent replacement.

Does anyone have any advice, comment or adverse experience with Open Office 3.3 on this platform.

Thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think it has been successfully working on some windows 7 machines in XP compatability mode but they have had to transfer the normal.dot file from their old machine for settings, macros, styles, etc.

I have colleagues who use Open Office with no problems whatsoever. It is compatible with other formats, similar in use to Microsoft Office and is free.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Why do you think Word 2002 will not function properly ? It works fine for me on Win 7 64. Install it first before you determine it's going to be a problem...........

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for responding.

Hopefully Open office will function, but I shall try my old Word 2002 and attempt to get all the compatibility upgrades again.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Here is a link to the relevant compatability pack for 2002 to open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations that were created in the newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint should you find that you need it.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have Open Office on one of my Windows 7 64 BIT PC's and have not had any trouble whatsoever.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

difarn and Chronus

Many thanks for the information and the link to the pack.

One quick question, given that Word 2002 was registered against the XP PC, is it likely I shall have a problem when it is installed on the W7 machine?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

According to this article you should be able to do that without any problem - Microsoft obviously recognise that people will want to transfer it at some stage to a new PC and usually allow 2/3 activations.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

With luck all should be well then. Many thanks for your help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad to help - hope it all works out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Outlook is likely to be the problem with Office 2002. Word should be ok.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad