We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A quick initial impression of W8

mooly

Likes # 0

Gave W8 DP a quick try out this weekend...

I tried it on a 5 yr old Acer notebook that currently runs Vista and so armed to the teeth with full Acronis images I installed W8.

Installation was quick-ish at around 30 minutes all in. Essentially an identical procedure and installation screens to Vista.

Some quick observations. Devices such as wireless mouse worked OK (obviously recognised) but there was no user notification or sound that it has been detected and installed. While I was wondering and looking in device manager it just started working. Device manager had a fair number of yellow triangles against such things as web cam etc. Nothing has changed there since Vista.

Same for external HDD... it worked and was recognised but no notification of "installing drivers etc".

As expected my NVidia 6100 graphics had only a default driver installed and wanting full resolution I installed my Vista/W7 driver. That seemed to go well... more on that later.

As to the W8 experience.

Apart from the Metro interface (I know it's different and I wanted to like it but ultimately didn't as I don't want what look like adverts plastered over the desktop) W8 seems little different to W7 which in turn is little different to Vista.

The familiar desktop is still there and all the screens and menus and personalisation... well you could be looking at W7 or Vista. The initial set up was easy and straightforward. During initial installation it asked me if I wanted to connect to my wireless network which it found and showed with no user input.

IE10... I couldn't get to my Yahoo email with that. Yahoo kept saying I needed IE (lol) or Firefox. Other sites seemed OK though.

Updates... 8 installed and one failed :) Windows Defender of all things. It had another go and it worked. Checking "installed updates" and the failed one doesn't show. That screen seemed different with less detail and info.

The labeling of devices in "computer" seemed confusing. I wanted to "safely remove hardware" and found my external drive was called "USB to SATA serial drive bridge". The familiar "safely remove hardware" icon in the tray also called it this weird name.

Had to use Google to find where the on/off and power buttons were ;-)

And that's where what I presume is an NVidia driver issue appeared. It wouldn't power down but just hung on the logging off screen forcing me to do a hard shut down.

Would I upgrade to W8 ? No. Buying a new PC and I guess we'll have no choice. Wonder if there will be a free "upgrade DVD" offered with new PC's as W8 release nears. Having a means of a "clean install" without all the usual bloatware is worth it weight in gold.

So there we go... I'm pleased I tried it... and I might even do the same again if a full Beta version is made available.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

To add to the above - I am still persevering but not keen on the current opening screen -"Metro"- it would be nice if they gave a simple choice between that and classic screen.I have a reg tweak which may make it open at classic - will try that soon.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

In the past there have been a number of tweaks which have been used to personalize various WIN os. I am surprised with WIN 8 they appear to frown on such tweaks.

FE is it true a small tweak of the reg to start as classic screen instead of the tiled effect brings the wrath of you know who?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

My own views differ from those already posted. I installed this on a four year Old Pavilion Desktop. First I tried an update on spare HD. Which not transfer the programs. I then wiped that and did a clean install with all my printers etc turned on. Which were recognised but gave the yellows in device manager. So I wiped than which showed there will be problems with the boot loader in the future. Then did a clean install with all printers off. Device manager showed no problems I changed the default setting in the loader so my Win 7 was main system.

The metro I find no problems, and is the ideal starting place to install from CD/DVD. Not having a touch screen I cannot say how it will work from that. Removing the applications was easy. and there was no problems with sound or monitor, ( I use a '22 HP ) Up dates were flaky with some failing. Wireless keyboard and mouse no problems. When installing anything it does mean a lot of items normally hidden in the start folder now appear in the Meto, and may be deleted.

For the desktop I found the initial one is not the desktop that requires Loggin on .Then going to desktop. ( I cannot see any reason why anyone should complain it is after all a developers version just for that purpose). I personalised it and added from gadgets an on/off button which I then moved to the bottom Left so as not to obstruct the icons in IE 10

I did not like IE9 and 10 seems to be the same format, after the standard menu bar was installed it was easy to import fav and cookies then assessed from the * button not the menu half way down

I did find problems installing my old R265 with CISS ( there have been no updated drivers from Epson after Vista ) and the standard installation from disc comes back with the not supported by OS. This was solved by a manual instal using the original disc for the drivers. My later printer SX range installed without problems.

Lotus Word which many had problems installing on win 7 installed used administrator options without and problems, as did an old version of Coral which was originally designed for Win 95

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

Tweak as much as you like; this is a developer preview version - not intended for general use at all.

There will be a public beta - probably in January of next year - that will be considerably improved in many ways, most noticeably by the inclusion of a bigger driver database.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Thank you FE but this is why i asked :-

Microsoft Confidential. Unauthorized use or disclosure in any manner may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment(in the case of employees),termination of an assignment or contract(in the case of contingent staff),and potential civil and criminal liability.

The above shows on my desk top!

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Tweaking the registry is hardly a crime, it's there and available to do as you wish...

If you were to try to dis-assemble the actual code of W8 or any MS software and then make it known then that is a different matter.

No one is going to come knocking :)

Like this post
jackwills

Likes # 0

When i uses the windows7 series then i confesed a large number of problems with the authentication and his apperarances.

Like this post
jackwills

Likes # 0

When i uses the windows7 series then i confesed a large number of problems with the authentication and his apperarances.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

jackwills

Cannot understand what point or problems you are refering to or how it relates to this post

You many find it gets more responce. if its a windows 7 problem to stsrt a post either in that Forum or the Helproom

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

First impressions of widows 8 ? it feels like windows 7 combined with an android desktop which constantly pops up when you click on where the start button was, and like android it may well work on a touch screen device but with a keyboard and mouse it gets very hard work to progress through screens and applications

So unless they considerably rethink this theme it could easily become another Windows Vista or Windows ME

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...