We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cut a person from one photo to paste into another

tamsin

Likes # 0

I am running WIN 7 64 bit with Picaso and Irfanview.
I want to cut an image from one photo to paste into another photo. Can anyone please tell me which software can achieve this?

Like this post
audeal

Likes # 0

Photoshop is the best if you can afford it.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

any photographic suite that can work with layers will do the job there are a few ,some cheaper than others ,photoshop is the premier photoediting suite , but darned expensive ,coral do one at a fraction of the cost but even that may be more than you would want to spend ,have a look around online (google search ) for photo editing softwares ,find some that is in your price range and check out thier capabilities before you commit .most software sites for photoediting have manuals for thier software and some even have tutorials to show off their abilities .
good luck.

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

I'm running an old programme 'Microsoft Picture it' circa 2002, which can do what you require. I am using Win 7 64bit as well but can successfully run this old programme in XP mode.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

If it is a One Off requirement then download a trial of Photoshop Elements 8 (PSE), click here that will do it for you. PSE is cheap if you shop around and version six or seven will suffice.

If you want you could try Serif PhotoplusSE, the free version click here may do it but the X2 version certainly will and that can be bought for around a tenner online.

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your suggestions, will try out Microsoft Picture It and also Photoshop Elements 8 - will also look at Serif Photoplus SE. See which one I find it easiest to use.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you are going to be a keen photo editor, Photoshop Elements 8 will do an excellent job. There is a bit of a learning curve and it costs about £70 but if you got very keen and wanted a more advanced programme such as PS CS5, your experience with Elements 8 woukd mean a lot less to learn. If you are an occasional user only then the cheaper or free programmes above would be fine. I agree with Procliamer.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Paint.net free click here will do the job.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Tamsin - you've had several good suggestions above for software.

Here are a couple of tips for doing the job.

When you choose the image that you want to cut out and paste into another photo, in order to make it believable, you need to pay particular attention to the lighting. Try and makes sure that the direction and quality of the light is the same in both photos.

And when you've created a marquee (ie: a mask/selection) around the image you want to cut out, before you cut it apply some feathering. In Photoshop you'll find this function on the Select menu, listed as Feather or Refine Edge. Without a little feathering, your cutout will look hard-edged and unreal.

Have fun!

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Thanks Pineman100
Good tip - I am still trying to get the exact reproduction I want so maybe this will do the trick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more