We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ReInstalling Windows 7 Home Premium - OEM

LRoberts101

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm looking to reinstall Windows 7 HP 64-bit. I have made a Windows 7 Install disk via a USB and am just checking I have my product key handy. However the sticker on the bottom of my laptop displays a different key to the one using a key finder.

I'm aware that this is due to OEM, but my machine didn't ship with any recovery disks. Am I going to have an issue when it comes to inputting the product key?

Thanks, Luke.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Dis your computer not come with a recovery partition which allows the creation of a re-install disk. My Wife's HP certainly does

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you make the HP Recovery Discs? Here's how to create recovery media that you can use to restore your computer to its original condition. HP recovery software allows you to make only one recovery backup . These backup files contain the original operating system, drivers, and application software that shipped with the computer. click here

Like this post
Newuser4165

Likes # 0

I have a HP desktop system. You can use the method outlined by lotvic.The OEM code found by your keyfinder should activate automatically - check in properties when complete. However,when I reinstalled Win7 64bit home premium I decided to reinstall it using a Win7 installation available from Microsoft free of charge as an iso download from which I created a bootable installation disk.I did this because I had installed a new SSD to contain the OS. In this case I needed used the code on the label attached to the pc but it might have been possible to use the OEM key but not sure about that.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

The version of Windows pre-installed on the unit is a special build version which uses a bulk key pre/auto-registered. The manufacturers of these devices do not install a separate licence on each PC, but merely install a pre-configured image onto the disk which then uses the bulk key (i.e. the key in all of the images copied on to all of the PCs is the same) - this is the key you will have found using key finder.

If you want to re-install Windows yourself from a DVD / USB (whether bought or burnt from an ISO file) you cannot use the bulk key as it will not match the build of the operating system that you have on DVD / USB. So you have to use the one off the CoA sticker on the device (that's what it is there for - it is YOUR licence key). As long as the you are installing the same operating system (e.g Windows 7) as previously installed the key should work (I believe it doesn't even mind if you switch from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa).

But as other have said - you might want to consider restoring from a recovery partition / disk first if you can.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

To clarify:

As long as the you are installing the same operating system (e.g Windows 7 Home Premium) as previously installed the CoA key should work (I believe it doesn't even mind if you switch from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...