We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New partition on Windows 7 PC - is it possible?

tallboy
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Dell Studio PC running 64-bit Windows 7. Following some recent problems surrounding Windows Updates downloading (failure) I have had to have a repair install on it. Even after that, I had to do a separate repair install on Windows Live mail to make WLM work, resulting in the deletion of all the messages. (Fortunately, backed up elsewhere.)

Like all off-the-shelf PCs it was delivered with everything on the C: drive. To prevent re-occurrences of deleting emails again, I want to create a separate partition. (There plenty of room on the disk to do it.) Is it safe to create a partition on a disk that already has programs / data on it with loosing anything and ending up with a non-working PC again?

I've set up partitions on new, recently-formatted disks before, but not on one that is already in use. Any advice / pointers would be most welcome.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Whenever I get a new laptop (3 recently) after having taken the backup of the restore drive onto DVD, the first thing I always do is partition the hard disk. I then have a separate partition for all my work. It seems to me that the smaller partitions are easier and quicker to manage. So the short answer is YES

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Google for PartedMagic or GParted - both linux based partitioning tools Download and burn to cd boot from and use to partition HDD

Gparted - accept defaults as it boots - usually works - basic graphic and straight forward controls to Resize partitions.

PartedMagic - can do more than just partition drives - cd ejects when ready to use.

When you are ready to resize C partition I would go approx 1/3 as C and 2/3 as Data

Remember to create a new partition in the Unallocated space after resizing and format it as NTFS

Once done it is possible to move "My Documents" folders to the new partition and I would recomend this.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick replies xania & jollyjohn. I'm glad to know that I should be 'safe' to partition the disk. I'll give PartedMagic a try.

Like this post  
tallboy

Likes # 0

I purchased the current virus-free version of PartedMagic for less that a fiver (watch out for earlier free version which according to the author's website can cause trouble)ran it and 'hey presto' I now have a shiny new partition. And everything still works OK on the C: drive.

Thanks for the recommendation Jollyjohn!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED