We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help!, what is this file

spanishmike
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

Have just noticed (!) a file on the root called @date@, 69 Gb, created a year ago with no modifications, any idea what this is ?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you had a look in My computer to see if you have a partition of that size on it maybe for Back to factory settings or something like that.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

What is the extension of the file name?

Like this post
spanishmike

Likes # 0

Nothing in my computer as far as partition is concerned, the "File" doesn't have an extension, file is a year old and I've had the computer 3 years.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

69 Gb are you sure it's that big? 69 Gigabytes ?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Does you PC display "File Extensions" at the present?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if the Gb is for Great Britain and it may be a language file or something of that Nature.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What software do you use for incremental backups or otherwise? What does it show when you right click and select properties?

Give us a clue.

Like this post
spanishmike

Likes # 0

Hi,

Having mentioned backup and after some digging I remembered that I had tried Acronis True Image software, having looked to restore a backup from there it shows the date as the same as the creation date of the file and the path c:\@date@, I no longer use this software and use windows backups to an external drive, thank you for your input and apologies for being dense

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

Please tick as resolved

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance