We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows update error 80070490

Chrispjn

Likes # 0

Hi, I am helping out a neighbour who has a laptop (emachine model E510) running Vista Home Basic with SP2.

Unfortunately, the anti-virus software ran out several months ago and the machine became infected with malware. I suspect that this may be the cause of the current issue regarding 'Windows could not search for new updates' and the error code 80070490.

It is not possible to restore to an earlier point in time (they seem to be missing), all previous updates are also missing.

I have installed AVG anti-virus software, scanned the laptop and used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Superantispyware and Spybot to remove all viruses and rebooted several times. I have followed the instructions on Microsoft article click here Method 1 and also Mr Fixit. I cannot use method 2 as there is no repair CD/DVD.

I have searched various forums (including the ones here) and am running out of ideas. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

If you need to know any more technical details, please let me know.

Many thanks Chris

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could go to services and make sure Windows Update is set to automatic and is running.

Like this post
Chrispjn

Likes # 0

Hi - I have doubled-checked this and it is on automatic. I suspect I may need to obtain a repair CD/DVD. Does anyone have any ideas where I could a free one?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try command prompt and type in sfc /scannow and see if it sorts any problems.

Or try Services and disable automatic updates and stop it from running. Reboot and switch it back on again to automatic and start it running.

Worth a try I suppose.I believe you can download a Vista ISO from the internet and use that.

Have you tried with your firewall turned off.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have a look here.

Vista ISO

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Also had a look on here and found this Forum which gives good advice.

Click here

If nothing else works maybe give them a try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback