We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup repair problems with PC

jonski

Likes # 0

Hi all, recently my PC wont start up without it going ito startup repair mode. Its got to the stage now were i leave my PC on all week and only turn it off when leave the office on a Friday. This morning its now been running for 55 minutes and still hasnt started up. Running win 7 on a packard bell touch screen pc. Run microsoft essentials, malware anitbyte and CC Cleaner...Nothing is being found. Any ideas?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Your PC has gone into repair mode because it thinks, rightly or wrongly, that part of the system has become corrupt. And it is hanging because either it can't find whats wrong or it can't fix it. Have you tried load a previous system that loaded? If so, I fear you may need to re-install your OS, but, if you have the current install disc, you may be able to re-install over the top and save all your settings etc.

Like this post
jonski

Likes # 0

Hi xania, the problem with a re-install is the cd rom drive packed up ages ago, i know i could boot from a spare hard drive. Can't think whats caused this as no new hardware or programs have been installed in over 12 months.

I've done a rollback via malwarebyte and the PC started, but i`ll be in the same situation again next Monday morning.

But thank you for your reply.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried ignoring the start up repair when it comes up and just choose start normally.

That's what I do with mine and it usually starts ok.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

CD drive can always be replaced:

click here recommend you do so before its urgent.

strongly

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

CD drive can always be replaced:

click here recommend you do so before its urgent.

strongly

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I take it you mean MalwareBytes anti Malware. If you roll it back and it works it must have deleted something or put it in quarantine, Maybe look under quarantine and see what is in there.

If it starts ok after the next roll back I would download revo uninstaller and remove Malwarebytes completely.

Reboot and if it starts ok Download Malwarebytes again and make sure nothing gets downloaded with it and do not use Cnet.

You could try running sfc /scannow in command prompt just to see if it finds and fixes anything.

Like this post
jonski

Likes # 0

I haven't got the option of ignoring it...It starts automatically and won't let me stop the operation until it's finished. I'll try the uninstall of the malware proggy and see if that cures it...And xania, I've been looking for a new cd drive for the pc but can't find one online.

Thanks both for your suggestions.

Like this post
Newuser4165

Likes # 0

Why don't you boot it into safe mode and then run System Restore - pick a restore point from about 1 month ago.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks