We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Office v Open Office

dave.d

Likes # 0

I am getting in a pickle with my new Windows 8 laptop. I have MS Office Home and Student 2007 disk and product key. I was unwilling to pay MS for a 2013 version of Office when 2007 was good enough for what I need. For months I could not load 2007 because I could not get MS to accept the product key. So,I down loaded Open Office as a free alternative. However I have now found a way to get MS to accept the 2007 product key and Home and Student is now loaded on my laptop. I seem to be getting a conflict between MS Office and Open Office I.E. I can create a document in MS Office and save it, when I try to reopen the document comes up in Open Office. I had intended to leave both programs on the laptop, but should I assume MS Office and Open Office don't mix well and one should be deleted? I am Dave in Newport South Wales, apologies if the solution seems obvious but I have been struggling with this for weeks. I have documents and pictures on both programs that I do not want to loose and I now have a fear of screwing something up. Thanks for Reading.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Make Office the default if you still want OO on your PC. Personally I'd uninstall OO.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Make sure you save all docs in OO before uninstalling obviously but a reminder won't hurt.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

PS, SkyDrive on the desktop also gives you a limited Office features, 7GB worth in the cloud, includes notes, word docs, power point presentation, excel workbook and survey.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015