We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wake up password Win 8.1

highside

Likes # 0

Need help please after wasting a day wishing I had not downloaded Win 8.1 when my PC was happy with V8. Latest bug is how do I stop it demanding a user password when it wakes up from a few minutes of non use. I don't need passwords, there is only me in my own room. I have selected 'Don't require a password' in Power Options (using admin account) I have disabled the password requirement in boot up & that is fine but still it demands one to 'wake up'. I have the Microsoft password which works I just don't want to enter it every time. Or is it possible to revert to V8? Thanks if anyone can help. Win 8 64 bit as standard now at 8.1.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok to stop it going to a black screen.

Click the middle of Windows screen and choose personalise.

Click on screen saver, You will see it is set for 1 minute change it to whatever you want I changed it to 676 minutes as that is where it stopped and have had no problems since.

That stops the black screen every minute or so. Hope it helps.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks, will try that but problem worse than I thought, turned on today and found that microsoft is going to ask for a password every time and again when it sleeps and again every time a UAC is required. I was happy without any of that. What happens if I were to delete my Microsoft account? I don't use any social sites and can live without the now compulsory it seems Skydrive.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure but can you not do away with the sign in by changing user profile.

While in there click on change user account Control settings and set the slider to the bottom which turns it off.

Maybe try make changes to my account.Then click on sign in options and see if it lets you remove the password.

I take it it is an e-mail password that you use to sign in it was when I had the same problem but googled to see how to turn it off and have been running without a password since.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you with that. I will have a look a little later to see if I can find it for you.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This for W/8 not sure if it is the same on 8.1

click here

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Hello Jock1e, Did that (it is the same for 8.1), in fact I completed it for each entry I found in accounts. ticked each box and selected each user in turn each time unticking the box and choosing apply apply, although that procedure was successful as far as it goes the problem remains. It seems Microsoft with 8.1 has taken my PC from me and is overruling any settings it wants. I also set sleep and screen off to never, stopped the screensaver but still if I leave it for a while or turn it on and off then the dreaded menu still appears either the password for admin or the one for user is asked for.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Have cracked the screensaver bit at last, should have twigged before, dont know why as it was OK under Win8 without doing this. Go to Screen Saver Settings and where it says 'Wait' (for whatever minutes) remove the tick from 'On resume display log on screen'

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try settings, change pc settings, accounts, sign-in options, password policy.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Finally got what I want, my PC back as it was more or less under Win8. Now onto the next anomaly which 8.1 has given me, cannot save directly into my documents any more, no matter what destination I choose my letters or whatever are saved to Sky Drive (something else I can do without)and not My Docs Guess that should be a new post. Thanks for all the help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks