We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre

rdlandco

Likes # 0

I have upgraded my new Sony Vaio All-in-one computer to Windows 8.1 Pro which has given me Media Centre with a new Product Key which I have entered. I cannot get the Media Centre to recognise the built-in TV Tuner in the Sony as it comes up with a message 'The TV Signal cannot be configured because a TV Tuner was not detected. If you have a TV Tuner ensure it is installed correctly.' I cannot see how I can check this. I have managed to download the current TV schedules in 'Guide' which suggests the program has detected a TV signal or maybe this has just come from the Internet connection rather than the TV Tuner. I have a TV aerial connection to the back of the computer and am stuck with what to try next. The TV program works fine with a very good picture but I cannot record. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and can help me (an 80 year old silver surfer!!)

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

Which Sony Vaio All-in-one do you have? (Model No:) Please.

Like this post
rdlandco

Likes # 0

Sorry for delay in responding. The model No. is SVL2413M1EB. bought September 2013.

I emailed Sony Support and they sent me a link to the manual with instructions to look for the TV Tuner driver through this. I could not find it on looking in C:Windows\Drivers as this suggested. I have asked Sony for further help and await their reply although I note from the link they sent that they say they do not provide support for the drivers.

It seems ridiculous to me that they sell a computer with a TV Tuner for which drivers can not be found, even by the Microsoft technician who took over my machine in his endeavours.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

It's Bad news time.

I have the SVL2412Z1E (Big Brother to yours), Basically, It's a PC with a TV onboard, But neither of them are Connected as one unit, A button for the PC and another Button for the TV part.

From a review in this Click here

Rather than simply have a TV tuner that works via the PC, which is the most common option, this has a full-function TV available as a separate entity which does not require the PC to be on and working. Being a Sony product, the TV has all the standard Bravia features. You can easily switch between TV and PC, at will. In TV mode, the mouse and keyboard are inactive, which is reasonable and sensible but a full remote control is included.

When I found this out, I bought one of these PCTV nanoStick T2.

Like this post
rdlandco

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the bad news!!

I will look at the advice given and make a decision but I am extremely annoyed to think that I have been misled into believing I had a TV Tuner which I fully expected to work with Windows Media Centre, which I had to pay an extra £99.99 to buy.

I suppose there is no fool like an old fool and at almost 80 years old perhaps I should have known better.

Thanks again for solving a problem which has kept me fully occupied for three full days now with all the frustrations of call centre 'Help' from India and extreme difficulty in finding out how to get through to Microsoft and Sony.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

So you bought the upgrade to 8.1 pro for that price. Your quarrel is with Sony I'm afraid as it is their hardware that's not working. I know it's not a complete answer but how about getting a new tv tuner card, compatible with 8.1 ( two compatible ones here). Search for the cheapest, install, and get it working. Now I'd contact Sony for some recompense? or some 'good will' gesture on their part. Worth a go. Or try a usb one that Lazarus The 2nd suggested.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

rdave13, Those 2 Tuner Cards won't work with the SVL2413M1EB or my SVL2412Z1EB This is it

Side-on View Click here (No PCI-E Slots) USB 2 or USB 3 only..

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd thanks. Not remembered it was one of these All in One PC.

Apologies rdlandco . Still once you get it up and running via usb I'd still contact Sony to complain. Seems they have a lot of issues with 8.1.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've gone through hoops to find an alternative number to speak to a human on the telephone (might be better if you register your machine on the site) but only came across this 35.743ppm exorbitant charge, from here.

Getting 404 errors in Internet Explorer for other registration forms then help and support. Works ok in Firefox. Another reason I won't touch a Sony product.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try 08702 402 408

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Gets better, Sonypencoed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...