We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Proxy server in IE 11 problem

mo66ie

Likes # 0

Hi I have a slight annoyance whereby when I boot my machine up and start IE I invariably get 'proxy server not responding' or something similar. Than I have to go to: tools > internet options > connections > lan settings and untick the box that says 'Use a proxy server for your LAN. Then all's well till I reboot from cold. Don't know about restart. I'm running Windows 8.1 and I don't think I had the problem in windows 8. Anybody out there got any ideas please.. Regards Allan

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try the same again but stop at Connections. There should be nothing in the box if connected by cable and not Phone. So delete anything in there if not needed.

Have you got automatically detect settings dotted when on Lan.

Use a proxy server is where Virus's used to hang out so maybe give Malwarebytes free a run to see if it finds any problems.

Like this post
mo66ie

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e there is nothing in the box and automatically connect is not ticked. Should it be? Regards.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Mine is whether it makes any difference or not I don't know. but worth a try.

Also when in there you can go to programs and make I/E your default web browser.

Like this post
mo66ie

Likes # 0

Worth a try indeed. I'll let you know. I/E is my default browser. Regards

Like this post
mo66ie

Likes # 0

Tried it. no go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...