We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

When double clicking on a Desktop Icon or Folder to open it a different one opens

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Morning all

In Vista on my Laptop running Vista SP2 home when I go to select a desktop icon like Computer or even my documents file a different Icon or folder will open.

I am using a USB Microsoft Optic mouse and have tried my desktop one & the mouse pad on the laptop which makes no difference.

I have just finished running Super Anti Spyware which only found Adware tracking cookies.

Help please

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What happens if you go to all programs and open them from there.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello Jock1e

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I do not get email notification when someone replies to my postings. Did report it to the Forum Editor but had no reply also.

I will try this now going in to All Programs and also try going into the documents folder.

Tried it! when i select a programe it opens a totally different programe than selected either way being from the programe list or from a desktop icon.

Thanks for looking

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not got a clue as to why this is happening. If just started recently maybe do a system restore to when it was working ok.

Or maybe give HitmanPro a run to see if it finds any problems.Looks like you have something redirecting your programs.

Have you noticed any different toolbars or search engines. have you downloaded anything recently and maybe downloaded a nastie with it.

Hitmanpro is free for 30 days so you do not have to pay for it.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello

Sorry for not getting back sooner, still not getting email notification for replies.

I have noticed the Left Mouse Pad button seems to have lost its click and looks like its dropped down. So I take it the little bit of plastic underneath is snapped. Going to have to strip the laptop down to find out.

I take it this will be the cause of the problem with the left mouse pad click button being stuck and instantly selecting a desktop icon when booting into windows.

Thanks again Jock1e !

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ still not getting email notification for replies.]

I would give up on that one they have known about it for a while now and so far no fix for it and probably will not be one.

Some get e-mails when they don't want them and you want them and cannot get them. I think that is where the problem is.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks for the heads up on the email notification issue Jocke1

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow