We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bootup problems even with system repair disk

antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

All of a sudden, I am unable to boot my laptop.

The hard drive come up on the boot list but when I load, it just shows a black screen and doesn't even make it to the windows screen.

There is no sign of the HDD being physically damaged (no click of death or other strange sounds).

When I put in the system repair disk that I burned and even when I put in the OS disk, it loads files and boots to a black screen with the cursor.

I have taken the HDD out and put it on my other computer and the System Reserve partition loads fine but not the partition with all the files.

I have tried chkdsk, but it was taken hours to do not many files out of a lot of files!

Why would the system repair disk not load?

Thanks,

Antony

Like this post
antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

I remember when I used to post things on here, I would get a pretty quick response.

Like this post
antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

I remember when I used to post things on here, I would get a pretty quick response.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Can you get into Safe Mode? Try tapping F8 at bootup click here for details

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make and model of laptop?

which operating system? windows xp, vista, 7 or 8?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad