We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8.1 has deleted everything!

belayer

Likes # 0

I have turned on my PC after a short holiday, it has Windows 8.1. It has mysteriously lost the 'mydocuments' icon, and I can find no way of looking for any files. All my email accounts have disappeared, as have all my emails etc, contacts, the lot.

Have tried the 'OPEN' command in Word and Excel, but they find no foldes, files or anything.

Various programs that were downloaded are still there OK on desktop (Google Earth, AVG etc).

Any suggestions?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you made a search for *.doc or docx depending which version you have to see if they are located somewhere on your hard drive(s)?

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Thanks, yes, it gives me them, with a root:

C:Users\David\Documents

the problem is, I don't appear to have browser! The icon to browse files on the drive seems to have disappeared. Its weird.

So in a Word document I can now find them via 'OPEN' but I still need to have a browser.

Also, all my email accounts seem to have disappeared, and all the emails I had, address book etc.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a browser in the context you are talking about but if you want to restore My Documents to the Desktop you should be able to do it by right clicking on the Desktop then clicking on Personalise and then on Change Desktop Icons and ticking any of them that you want to appear.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Thanks,

yes, have found an icon and given it a name, and then copied my documants into it.

seems to have sorted the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room