We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Almost Comatose W7 Home Premium Laptop

warthog01

Likes # 0

Hi

I've tried just about everything I can think of, but my Dell Inspiron remains painfully slow. Symptoms are freezing, multiple jumpy mouse trails while it freezes, slow to load--all of these intermittent, but maddening just the same.

I've run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, SpyBot, and Adaware scans with only a couple suspicious files found (and deleted). I've compacted my Outlook .pst, eliminated all the addons other than indexing, I'm running archiving and have deleted hundreds of old emails.

I'm running Firefox.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Any out there for me?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

See if it runs better in Safe mode and have a look in device manager to see if any problems on there.

Have you tried running chkdsk just to make sure it is not the hard drive that is the problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Firefox 25 out now so maybe give that a try.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

sounds as if you are running out of memory or hard drive space. Have you checked how much you have free?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a thought: disable your Internet Connection and turn off your Anti virus.

Does it still behave this way?

Like this post
warthog01

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for replying. Wee Eddie's suggestion brought a dramatic improvement. I've disabled Kaspersky anti virus and Firewall. Will try re-enabling antivirus and sticking with Windows Firewall--are these compatible?

Despite the great improvement, when I run Windows Memory Diagnostic it identifies a hardware fault. I've removed,cleaned and replaced the memory modules but still get the fault. What next????

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

GO onto Crucials website , they will scan your PC/Laptop and tell you what memory you need

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks