We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unstbale PC - cursor freeze & changing mode

Tafflad

Likes # 0

W7 64 bit. In last couple of days PC has suddenly become unreliable ... after it's been screen freezes, cursor locked ... ctl+alt+del will not work. When this happens found I can recover ... but often only for 1 or 2 mins ... by simply plugging something into USB port .. as soon as you get the "Bing Bong" device found noise, screen unfreezes.

Sometimes just waiting 30 sec to a min and screen will unfreeze.

Also notice frequently when working cursor changes to window resize mode (double ended arrow) and then work is erratic until it recovers. Also it will frequently 'disappear' as soon as you move to an active window, or turn into text entry 'vert bar' cursor for no reason. Both Kyb & Mouse are USB

Sometimes hitting 'ESC' several times will return control temporarily. I have reinstalled mouse driver .... but no change.

Run sfc /scannow it advised corruption on some files unable to repair.

The CBS log is immense, and I think beyond my abilities to know what needs to be fixed (and how to fix) probably not good enough.

System Restore - went back 8 different restore points - all fail to restore 'unspecified error 0xc0000022' Have had no errors that restore points had failed.

Is there an option to 'repair' a windows install ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm still trying to sort my W7 harddrive out since the wonky October Windows Updates left me with a black screen. Have read they have caused all sorts of various problems, something to do with USB drivers. Maybe that's what's causing your problems?

Do a google search for: october 2013 windows 7 update problems

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback