We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft activation key not recognised

grandmat
Resolved

Likes # 0

I purchased this laptop with genuine Microsoft Office 2010 startup. I have had no problems until this week. I was sent a office document which I could not open and had to enter the product key - which was then not recognised by microsoft. I have been round and round the microsoft "help" pages to no avail - I am now nearly bald!

Any ideas how to resolve this please?

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

0800 018 8354 Microsoft activation

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I purchased this laptop with genuine Microsoft Office 2010 startup.

Most computers come with a free version of Microsoft office. Some parts stay free butt if you want to use the full version you have to pay.

If it was on your computer when you got it it would probably be that version.

But if you actually paid to have it installed that would be a different matter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Just in case there is confusion over the product key: The product activation key for microsoft office 2010 program is NOT the product key on the COA sticker on the bottom of laptop - that product key is for the reinstall of Operating System (Windows 7, or XP or Vista - whichever you have)

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

Lotvic Thanks so much, this really has cleared up some of the confusion.

Could I ask 1 more question please.
Could I download and use Open Office instead of word and would that resolve any attachments in word that I receive and cannot open?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

It should work fine. Nowadays Libre Office has replaced Open Office and is more developed than OpenOffice so I would suggest that

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yep, I agree with alanrwood - Libre Office freebie click here

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

Many thanks to all of you really knowledgeable people for your help and will do this - do I have to uninstal Microsoft Starter?

Also to-day I right clicked a word document and could only open it in Protected View - I have never come across this before. Is Microsoft "encouraging me" to purchase full Microsoft office???

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You may be able to get the Key from Regedit using the correct Software

this may find the key Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder

click here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

woodchip made me think again... perhaps you have the pre-installed Office 2010 Starter Edition and it was the Sept2013 update that broke it ClickHere

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

YES this is it exactly!

So do I still download Libre and deleted microsoft stater??

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback