We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how i turn off autorun if windows can't open gpedit

can_cworld

Likes # 0

help me please i will turn off autorun but if i typing gpedit.msc in run appear windows cannot find gpdit.msc "make sure you typed the name corretcly then try again. how i fix it?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The Local Group Policy Editor is dependant on which version of Windows 7 you have.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Prevent autorun from starting: Hold down the shift key while you insert CD/DVD etc. Keep held down until CD/DVD drive light goes out.

Like this post
can_cworld

Likes # 0

my windows is home basic and any solutins to open gepedit.msc in run?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Windows 7 editions (Home Premium, Home Basic and Starter) don't come with Group Policy Editor. Only Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions come with Group Policy Editor installed.

However a quick google found click here which may answer your question to enable it. Disclaimer: I have no connection with website linked to and therefore cannot vouch for any downloads. Make sure you virus check any files downloaded from unknown sites.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

See your other thread click here for the solution to get rid of the Autorun Virus that turns your filenames into shortcuts and hides your files.

Like this post
can_cworld

Likes # 0

how i download gpedit editor for windows home basic if i click link on above appear deviant art.com and how i turn off autorun windows 7 if gpedit editor there isn't? where i download gpedit editor for windows 7 home basic?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The link works okay for me, but if you want then copy and paste this into your browser Address bar: www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

That gpedit.msc from the link is a v. old version and does not support all the options. Personally I think it is rather suspect.

In any event, if you want to turn off autorun, go to Control Panel, AutoPlay and deselect as appropriate (I turn all of them to "Take No Action").

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Batch, can_cworld's got the 'Autorun flash drive changed to shortcuts' virus, see other thread click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...