We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't boot vista normal or safe mode

fitzi74

Likes # 0

Hi I'm in need of help!

I have a Hp pavilion dv5. Last week I encountered the chesire police virus. I managed to remove it I think well at least get rid of the locked screen by using system restore. I also downed shortly after a PDF reader which I later uninstalled due to my computer getting BSOD. The message given was irql less or equal.

For the past couple of days I have been using using rstrui.exe on safe mode with command prompt to restore the system and it would work fine until you shit down and had to go through the whole process again. I now can't even get safe mode with command prompt to load it just freezes on loading files. I just ran start up test in Hp diagnostics it said harddisk test failed hard disk 1 smart (301) hard disk 1 quick (303). I really need to use the laptop ASAP for work! I appreciate this won't be solved over night! Any help I'd be eternally great full xxx

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This is direct from the HP Website......... The Smart error ( 301 ) and both the short and long Disk Self Test error ( 303 & 305 ) all indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

You will need to replace the hard drive in your laptop and on the HP website you can find instructions on how to do so for your model number. If you don't have a backup then the first thing you need to do is to take the hard drive from your machine, put it in an external USB caddy and retrieve all your Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos etc. To do this you would be best to use a different PC, borrow one from a friend and use their USB port. Once all your personal data is safe you can then try using the HP Factory Restore partition to get you running again. But the only real fix is to replace the existing hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback