We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

compatibility win 7 issue

Boy Zone

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a Acer 1640 laptop, about 4 yrs old which I want to give to a friend. The laptop has winxp running, and have ran a compatibility test to see if it's win 7 compatible. After running the test it tells me that certain issues exist, drivers, etc. I've been searching the web to see if I can get updates, but no luck, Acer don't want to know, hence you guys can advise whether to ditch the laptop or what.

Many thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like you I have Googled for Win 7 drivers, it seems that Sound is a problem as well as LAN and with some Grahphics. Win XP is a good OS, many on this forum still think that it is the best so why ditch a perfectly good laptop because it will only run XP? Re-set it back to its original factory settings and you can then pass it on to your friend.

Here is the standard Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
  2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
  3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
  4. Click “OK” to continue
  5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
  6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......