We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No space on c:/drive

cbowles

Likes # 0

I have an old-ish Toshiba Equium P200D running Vista Home Premium SP2 with a partitioned hard drive - Vista(C) and Data(E). I keep all docs, photos, music, Outlook files - in fact anything that I can - on my E drive. The only thing I have actively put on C is installed programs. Both the C and E drives are small in today's money - 40GB each - but my C drive has all but disappeared. I have read various forums and done everything I think I can to reclaim disc space:

Deleted old restore points (and aren't creating any new ones) Deleted any unused programmes Disabled Hibernate mode

I have to run disc cleanup everytime I use my laptop (and CCleaner to get a few extra MB back) but am struggling to hold onto my last 100MB. The only programs I have installed that would give me a little extra space are MS Office and ITunes (the things I use most) but this would only be a temporary fix.

I have thought about removing the partition on my hard disc as I have 10GB left on Data(E), but am a little apprehensive about doing this and again, there was a time not long ago that I had 10GB on C and that's now all gone.

Where is my disc space going, how can I get it back and how can I stop it from being eaten again? Please can someone help...

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

You can reduce the amount of space required for restore points from the default 15%. click here a look at the drive with Spacesniffer to see if there are temporary files taking up room. click here click and run as administrator to see the entire contents of the drive.

You'll probably find that the WinSXS folder in C:\Windows will be pretty big, but you can't delete from there.

Take Right

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Hmm..forum reformatted my post rather extensively, and moved some of the words...

Take a look at the drive with Spacesniffer. Right click and run as administrator.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This can be useful. Sometimes, backups can fill the space.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......