We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Major Windows 7 opening problem

jonem81

Likes # 0

I started my HP i5 Intel PC this morning and it seems as if Apache OpenOffice was trying to update. However, it never completed, and since then my PC has gone to pieces! I am experiencing uncompleted icons on my desktop, and if , for example, I try to open any of the programs, it just opens the SAME program for EVERY icon I click on! Where there used to be pictures or graphics, all of the icons are blank, but the title of the icons are present. I have tried System Restore, but I get ' System Restore cannot restore, due to possibly AV programs requiring disabling '. I checked this out with 'msconfig', but even after disabling them, Restore did not re-start for a previous date. Some of the icons work. I have a short video that opens OK, but about 90% only open as the SAME PROGRAM, which is weird. I can't open my email program on this PC, but if someone replies to this post, I will be able to pick it up on my old Sony PC. I have now tried System Restore twice, and it has failed. I am unable to run Revo uninstaller, and Ccleaner, which may have helped to find any corrupted files. I don't want to start all over again, but I do have a Windows 7 64-bit repair disk from July 2011. This was recommended when I first purchased the PC, but will I lose all of my latest applications and files etc.? As you can see, I CAN access the Website, so THAT part of the PC is working! Can anyone throw any light on this problem, and a solution, please?

jonem81

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It sounds as though you have a corrupted Windows installation.

Take a look at this.

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Forum Editor :

Thanks for your reply, but it looks a bit daunting for my old brain! The PC did not come with Windows Installation disc. Could I just go for a straight upgrade from the website?

Thanks

jonem81

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Forum Editor :

BTW, I CAN access my emails through my VirginMedia website, so that's a relief!

jonem81

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......