We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

man this sux windows wont boot at all

dustinmccullough

Likes # 0

please help. windows will not boot at all on my dell desktop computer. i am running windows vista. it will get to the screen thats says microsoft corporation and then stops. have to push the power button to turn it off. it does this on all the command prompts and when get to the screen repair windows or start windows normally it will not go to the repair and does that on all prompts also. tried to reinstall windows with the reinstall disk and it says no bootable device. so i dont know what else to do.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Look in the Bios and see if the first boot is for Floppy. Probably don't have a floppy drive on the computer but in the Bios see if it shows at all and if it does disable it.

Make sure it also starts with the hard drive if trying to boot from A Dvd you may have to make that your first boot option.

But check for the floppy drive even if the computer does not have one.

Have you tried starting it in safe mode by tapping F8 as the computer starts.

Like this post
dustinmccullough

Likes # 0

yes i tried booting in all the prompts in f8 and none will boot they all do the same thing,gets to the microsoft corp screen and stops.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Could be the PSU on the way out.

If an oldish computer make sure all the air vents are clear of dust and fluff inside will also need cleaning especially around the fans and particularly in the heatsink if that is clogged up.

Did you look for the Floppy drive to see if it was in there it was a common problem with some dell computers.

if it was that it would have said press F2 or F10 something like that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You may have been better posting this on the helproom where you may have got a better response.

If you do that there is a grey button to the right of your last post tick that and it turns green. Then open a new one in the Helproom.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback