We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blank Screen

HondaMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

When starting my lap-top, Acer 8935 running Win7 Ultimate 4GB I have NO screen output. Sound is OK and from the noises it makes, it sounds as though everything is working but I am not sure as I see nothing.

Starting in Safe Mode, I can see on the screen that the drivers etc load, then the thing reboots into the Win7 splash screen, after it completes loading - nothing shows on screen. Gentle prodding of various key elicit the fact that SOMETHING is happening, but there is no visual display.

It seems to me that the windows graphics driver may be at fault, but without seeing anything on scrteen how can I 1) be sure that is the case 2) reinstall

Help

Like this post
ZachSmiith

Likes # 0

This seems as it could be one of two things; 1 - The graphics driver could be at fault as you stated. 2 - The Windows installation could be corrupted.

I would suggest running a Linux Live CD to try and back up any data that is recoverable.

Format the HDD and re-install Windows as fresh.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried plugging it into the TV or spare monitor to see if it makes any difference.

If you can see the drivers load in safe mode it is probably nothing to do with the monitor but you can rule that out if using one of the selections above.

Not sure if it would be Ok doing back to factory settings but you would loose everything doing that and it may still not work.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

The more I deal with computers the more I think one tends to forget.

Having reinstalled Windows on my second HDD in that laptop I suddenly remembered this How to fix black screen of death

Worked a treat.

Thanks for your suggestions in any event, I am sure that someone else will find them useful

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android L vs iOS 8 comparison preview: Apple vs Google software showdown

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

Why Google bought Songza. Scratch that: what is Songza?

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July