We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Installing Windows 7 32 bit

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

I purchased a genuine copy of Windows 7 32bit for an old computer I had which was running Windows XP 32 bit and it worked perfectly well. However I have now scrapped that machine and passed on the disc to a relative, at a very small charge, as her machine is running Windows Vista and I thought it would be a kindness to let her have it to use until she can purchase a new PC with Windows 8 installed. Unfortunately each time she is asked to input the necessary code from the back of the CD case it states that the product key is not valid, re-type the product code, she has done this 4 time but still same problem. I have no idea how to help her, any thoughts please.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As it has been activated on your old computer it probably will not activate on your relatives.

It all depends which genuine copy of Windows 7 that you bought,Most are only for one computer and you have already used that.

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thanks for the answer, can a second licence be purchased and would it be as expensive as a new CD.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Yes just the same price as the old one but check out Amazon they are usually fairly reasonable on there.

Maybe best waiting till someone else can advise as there are some Windows ISO's that you can transfer and I do not know which ones they are.

Maybe google to see what ones you can put on a different computer and which ones that you can't, I am just going out or I would have a look for you.

Like this post  
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thanks again, will have a look.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

It sounds like she isn't even getting to the activation stage: "Unfortunately each time she is asked to input the necessary code from the back of the CD case it states that the product key is not valid, re-type the product code"

The product code stickers can be difficult to read and things like 8s and Bs often get confused.

But, in any event, if the original W32 DVD that you bought was an OEM version, as others have said, she will not be able to activate it anyhow (OEM versions are strictly limited to use on a single machine and cannot be transferred).

It it was a full retail version she should be able to activate it, but that would enforce de-activation on the machine on which you installed it (but then that may not concern you).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...