We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having trouble with massive .MOV files

babydollrox
Resolved

Likes # 0

So I filmed a bunch of scenes on my Uni camera for my showreel - transferred the files to my laptop - they are .MOV files, and they are absolutely massive! In that, a 3 minute clip is almost 1GB in size - now that's no doubt because the quality is ridiculously high but it seems to be too high, that I can't actually use the files.

I can play the files in HQ on VLC Player - any other player and they either won't play at all, or I just get sound and either a black or white blank screen. I can't put the files in any movie editor to edit them.

I tried converting the files into every different format and every different screen resolution under the sun - can't convert without drastically losing video quality - makes them not good enough video quality for my showreel anyway.

I tried recording video and sound with a screen recorder whilst the files are playing in VLC player... epic fail. The video played blotchy twisted, rotated and in black and white - and the sound didn't match up. I think the file uses so much of the laptop's energy that it couldn't handle it.

I have Quicktime pro - which seems to be the only program to recognise the size of the files' actual screen resolution - I had to like change the view to half size just to be able to find the play button - but when it did play, I got sound only.

These files are massively important, and I don't have a camcorder myself, and I'm already graduated from Uni now so can't go back and record again - I desperately need to find a way of being able to edit these clips in high quality in Corel VideoStudio Pro, or even in WMM. I am seriously out of ideas - all suggestions welcome!

Like this post
babydollrox

Likes # 0

Any thoughts would be welcome?!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Your Lappy's Specification could be very relevant.

Please give?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

It does sound as though your laptop is simply not powerful enough to play hi-def files, assuming of course that the files are not corrupted in some way. You say you have tried converting to other formats - I would persevere with this approach. Which programs and formats have you tried so far?

Like this post
babydollrox

Likes # 0

The specs are:

Toshiba Double Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz RAM: 8GB (7.89 GB useable) 64-bit operating system Windows 7 Service Pack 1

It's a good laptop, actually spent a little more on a double processor laptop purely so that I could edit videos and process large HD files, I'd be surprised if it was down to the laptop... I am wondering if the files are just better suited to an Apple Mac than a Windows OS

In terms of converting, using Any Video Converter, here's what I've tried: WMV: Reduced frame res (waaay down to 320x240, really poor resolution) AVI: 320x240 again MP4: 320x240 MPEG1: (I tried changing the frame res) now up to 720x480 - better, but still not nearly good enough quality MPEG2: 720x480 again

I tried cropping the video to a certain resolution in hopes that when converted it would be higher quality at the same resolution... but AVC crashed on that.

And I have also tried screen recording - this has been epically unsuccessful...

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 1

Might be worth giving this a try

handbrake

It is one of the best, most stable free video transcoders out there.

Like this post  
babydollrox

Likes # 0

This program has totally worked - thank you so much! It has kept the file in MP4, kept the file in it's original frame spec, and kept the quality, the only thing that has changed is the file size, which is much mroe manageable, and my movie editor accepts it and I can edit it - bring on showreel - thank you so much!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...