We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 and Dell Printer

belayer

Likes # 0

I have just bought a HP Pavilion PC which unfortunately comes with the dreadful Windows 8! I am having no success getting it to recognise that my Dell 3115cn colour laser Printer is attached to it, even though it 'pings' when the printer is switched on/off.

This means the drivers won't install.

Any helpful suggestions?

I have tried downloading some drivers from Dell website, but heaven only knows if they are the right ones or not, and the site gives no help at all in how to install them.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Just to add some more information, I have just installed it on my laptop OK (Windows 7) but it wouldn't install from the Dell Driver CD, instead it searched Windows Updates and found a driver.

How do I get my desktop to do the same thing?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here. Don't know how it's connected but usually you need to install the drivers and during installation it will ask you to connect the printer at the right time.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Have tried, but have no idea which driver/download I need, and it would help if Dell didn't just assume we all know what to do with what we download. I haven't a clue!

Will play about with it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Progress:

Found a place on the Dell website where I put in my Printer number (kind of serial number) and it automatically checks my system and tells me what driver I need and lists it with an instruction to download it and then install it.

Have downloaded it, (a folder with a load of files in it)and it is mainly Zip files. I now have no idea what I do with them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I downloaded the zip file from the Dell site. Copied it to desktop then extracted it. It contained three other zip files and one was called scanner. Extracted all and that left 3 folders. Only the scanner folder had an .exe file. Now I'm in the dark here but I assume you'd need to create a new folder, call it something like 'scanner drivers' and copy the three extracted folders to it. Now you can try to manually install the drivers if the webcam is showing in 'Devices and printers'. Here is a video on how to install a driver manually, YouTube link. I hope that helps.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've uninstalled the folders but remember the main zipped folder was called something starting with 'p'? Might be worth calling the new folder you created with the same name. This is assuming you need to extract at all because I could open the three folder simply by double clicking all the zip files. Hopefully somebody with better knowlege of these thing can help. I'd try installing from the main zip folder first then if that fails you'll have to go down the extracting route.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS, the Dell printer will have to be connected, for obvious reasons, before you try the installation.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"...........no success getting it to recognise that my Dell 3115cn colour laser Printer is attached to it, even though it 'pings' when the printer is switched on/off."

belayer, with the printer switched on and connected to the PC, go to Control Panel -> Devices & Printers. In the "Printers" section, is there an icon for your Dell printer? If there is then does it have a green tick to show that it's the default printer? If it doesn't then right-click it and select "Set as default printer".

If your Dell printer appears to be installed correctly and is set as the default, try printing something.

If you notice anything that may be relevant about the status of your printer in that section then let us know what it says.

"Have downloaded it, (a folder with a load of files in it)and it is mainly Zip files. I now have no idea what I do with them."

I've downloaded the driver package too and agree that it's confusing and badly assembled. However I can see where the printer drivers are and what needs to be done with them. Depending on your reply, I should be able to tell you how to install those printer drivers if required.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Got it sorted! Bought th windows 8 Pro upgrade and installed. The Dell installation disc then worked straight away.

Thanks all!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow