We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 back up question

denis93

Likes # 0

i am doing a back up of my computer to an external hard drive for the first time ever,my question is this,after i complete this,if i was forced to put my laptop back to factory settings,do i just attach the external hard drive to it and copy and paste the files to the laptop,or is there a special tool,eg system restore or something to do this,and after i do this will it include my windows updates,passwords that were stored and wi fi settings etc?

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

anybody know parts of the answer?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Partly depends on how you are making the backup, though I use Win7 too, I use Acronis to create my Full Backups which are saved to an external drive. I would not expect to have the need to revert to factory settings, if any big problems I could simply restore my complete hard-drive from my latest backup.

Acronis full backups do include everything on your hard drive.

I have not used the built-in Win7 backup system, so cannot comment on that.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

thank you nontek cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia